- RESTART! The second you have any problem with any program, just restart the computer. Once you are in this habit, your world of troubleshooting will get a lot easier.
- Trash the Digidesign Databases Folder! When ever you are receiving DAE errors or PT is just running funny in general, the first thing to do is trash the Digidesign Databases Folder(see photo above). If you have no idea what this means take a look at the picture at the top of the article. PT creates a folder like this on everyone of your drives if they are mounted while PT is open. If things have gone sour in your PT relationship, the first thing to do is trash these folders ON EVERY DRIVE PRESNTLY MOUNTED!. Don’t worry this won’t hurt a thing and you wont lose any relevant data.
- Unplug Unused Drives! Drives are kinda like your member. They carry diseases. If you are mixing someone else’s record and they brought you a drive it can make things funny sometimes. If I am working on a record where some of it was done at another studio and having problems, I eject the drive from my computer ASAP. Get their nasty diseases away from your computer before they spread.
- Trash the DIGI Setup! This is a worst case scenario, if your system is being really chaotic and cranky this may help. PT automatically throws out your preferences file everyonce in a while when you have a bad crash. Throw this file right in the trash if it’s looking grim(see above photo).
- Run Disk Utility! Disk Utility is a great tool for the Mac. Everyonce in a while it will fix some stupid permission problem you are having with Pro Tools or a stupid error.
- Check your Disk Space! This is a far off chance, but I have noticed that if my Audio Drive(the drive I record to) is at less then 10% capacity, Pt will run like hell and I will get very odd errors. Make sure you have more then 10% of space on the drive you record on!
- Save A Session Copy! I have had some Pro Tools files act real wierd. Usually files done at another studio will crash more often then my own. If this is the case it is sometimes best to start over with a fresh new file.
These are a great place to start, if all hope is lost and none of this works we have some more options for you tommorow.