If all hope is lost for your Pro Tools to be fixed by quick little solutions it is time to run the Archive and Install. Here is how we get there:
- BACK UP YOUR DRIVE! Before we do this, you should back up your system drive. If you are wise, you should be doing this everyday. If you have for some reason you have not backed up your drive, do so right now!
- Grab Your Apple OS Install! The next thing we are going to do is run the software install for your latest OS. Once we insert the DVD and get it running, click through the usual agreements and choose your system drive. The next step will be to choose a “Manual Setup” and then select “Archive and Install” (see picture above) while preserving your user and network settings.
- Update Your OS! Now we need to update to the latest OS our PT system supports. You can find this out by going to Digidesign and selecting which software version you are using. Once you know this information, go to Apple and download a “Combo Update” to the OS you need.
- Reinstall Pro Tools! Once you have an up to date OS, we should now download a fresh copy of your latest Pro Tools version. Head on back to Digidesign and download your version of Pro Tools. Once it is finished the installer will appear. Select the option to “Uninstall Pro Tools”. Don’t worry there is an option to leave your plug-in intact. Once this is done, we should now install Pro Tools again.
- Wrapping Up! Once this is done, head back to Digidesign once again and download your PT versions latest CS update(check the column on the right). Install your CS update and then get your preference settings back to normal. Hopefully you will be back to having a normal smooth running Pro Tools system!