One of the things I see some artists neglect is the power of YouTube. Many of you are choosing to promote your music by giving it away for free. If you are doing this you should at least make a simple YouTube with one picture that plays EVERY song you are giving away for free. This can often times take 15 minutes if you have a Mac and iMovie or any of the countless other pieces of software that do this. Above you can see an example of Musformation editor Todd Thomas band Sensual Harassment employing a simple one picture video to get their music on YouTube.
There are numerous reasons this is important today:
- Sites like We Are Hunted, The Wiki Chart and countless others use YouTube to fuel their engines and you are going to need a YouTube if you want to get on them.
- Many blogs only post video!
- There are people who turn to YouTube and playlists when they don’t have access to iPods or iTunes. People make playlists and listen to songs on YouTube all day long.
- They come up in Google searches which can help your SEO and be a fast link to hear your music.
- You can post YouTubes on messageboards that often disable many other music players.