For years musicians have sold fans experiences like private concerts and meet and greets. As musicians continue to use the Internet to find new ways to monetize experiences with fans, we keep seeing more and more creative ways this can occur. Instead of selling merchandise to fans, they are selling experiences that give lasting memories and connections to fans. These experiences are more than just a way to make money, they give fans something special that they tell friends about for years to come.
Some of the experiences you can sell fans include:
- Covers – A cover song a fan chooses for you to do.
- Skype Chats – Give personal time to fans.
- Hangouts – Go play pool, cook dinner or do something fun with a fan.
- Lessons – Many musicians sell private music lessons to fans.
- Collaborate - Record, produce or co-write a song with a fan.
- Special – You can get ordained a priest and marry two of your fans.
- Backstage Access - Sell fans guest list spots and time with your backstage.
- Unique Art – You can create a special piece of art unique to an individual fan.
- Special Calls – Allow fans to purchase a birthday, anniversary or even a prank call for a friend.
- Personalized Mixtape – You can make a fan a personalized mix based on some music they may have never heard before that you enjoy.
BandPage – Enabling these fan connections has usually been done through fanclub participation or crowdfunding but BandPage Experiences has made an easy way for you to sell these experiences direct to fans. Their platform recently launched and already many musicians are doing cool things with it, such as the following:
- Stars will record an acoustic cover of any song, just for you. Price $200.
- Múm will create a personal song from your sounds –whistling, guitar plonks or poetry– then send you that song on a vinyl 7” created just for you. Price? $1,500
- Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde will give you a 30-minute personal guitar lesson over Skype (Price: $2,500).
- You can get a drum lesson from Slightly Stoopid’s drummer, RyMo (price: $100)
- Free Energy will take you bowling near their Philadelphia practice space — after you sit in on their rehearsal. Price $50.
- Be Stic’s personal VIP at Dead Prez SXSW showcase featuring Talib Kweli.
- While she’s on tour this year, Nataly Dawn (from Pomplamooose) will cook you dinner, then play a private show in the living room of her airbnb rental. Price $150 and up.
- Megan Keely will write you a personalized ditty for any occasion. Price $100