1. What are your tracking philosophies as far as processing now or later, explain however you’d like to take that?
I’ve always been a fan of getting the sounds as you like to hear them,
and recording that..It doesn’t always work 100% of the time, but almost
always. It helps to have a game plan, and shape the song as it’s being
created. There’s a definite power in commitment.
2. What is a Song Dealbreaker for you? AKA something in a song that will make it so you cannot listen to it?
radio effect breakdowns/intros. 1999 called…they want their idea
back. And deliberate auto-tune for an entire chorus – are you kidding
3. What is the best tip you could give about recording Guitar?
you tune to B flat, don’t put 10 gage strings on an SG!!! I’m tired of
tuning every chord. I’m just waiting for standard “e” tuning to be the
new black again. Actually, let’s start a trend and do it. We’ll be
cutting edge! Other than that, don’t be afraid to move mics, tweak
sounds as the song permits. Having the same stock guitar sound for
every song on a full length is tiring…to me, and to the listener.
4. What is the best tip you could give about recording Bass?
comes from the player…. if he plays with a pick, getting him/her to
pick correctly makes a massive difference in the tone, and how it sits
in the mix. Also, try recording bass AFTER guitars. I picked up that
tip from some guy named Paul McCartney, I don’t know if you ever heard
of him. I suppose he had his 15 minutes of fame, or something.
5. What is the best tip you could give about recording Drums?
how to tune them! Chances are, the drummer has no clue how to tune his
own instrument, as asinine as that sounds. I had to learn by default.
6. What is the best tip you could give about recording Vocals?
7. What is the best tip you could give about Mixing?
the wrong person to ask about this…haha. Just keep it simple. Concern
yourself with balance, rather than minutae. Now if only I could follow
my own advice……
8. What is your favorite new recording tool?
Chandler Universal Mix Control. so great for blending multiple mics on guitars.
9. What is an unappreciated recording tool?
The power of commitment, and listening.
10. Favorite Plug-in?
URS EQ’s/ Chandler EMI TG comp